Saturday, October 31, 2009

A day to remember




My heart was beating fast...


When I saw the maroon coloured vomitus from him, I knew instantly that this is something that is DEAD serious..


He continued to groan and vomitting out 2 kidney dish full ..splashing all over the floor


" Uncle...are you okay..can you hear me? !" I shouted out at him..

His expression reflected one in agony.


THis is definitely upper gastrointestinal bleeding...I immediately alerted my Medical Officer.

Unfortunately he was not convinced...

come on..i thought to myself..abdominal pain..maroon colored vomitus..what else do you want..i muttered...


Then he went away...


I stayed with the patient..and saw that the blood pressure was coming down..

he looked to be anemic..

saturation was 95%...but deteriorating 94 - 93%...


"Staff nurse!! patient is about to collapse! ..Get me the emergency trolley.. HIgh flow oxygen now.."


I immediately called out my m edical officer once again

This time around,..he heeded..


REsuscitation was under way..2 large bore branulas were set..airway was cleared..he was on high flow oxygen...but tachypenic..and tachycardic...


ryles tube were inserted...huge amount of maroon colored contents kept filling in ..


Pack cells/whole blood orderd..crossmatch taken..


surgical team was alerted...and they attended immediately...


But just across the room, another family was in a frantic mode...

What now? I thought to myself


OH my...i sighed..another patient..was gasping for air..her eyes staring wide...

lungs had reduced air entry bilaterally...

saturation dipping down...


In the midst of the Upper GI bleeding, another one was im pending respiratory collapse..


At that moment, I felt so nauseated..I did not think that i was able to handle any more of collapsed patient..


we had to work together with the anaest and surgical team in view of inavailablility to handle both situations at the same time..


My colleague and Medical offcier attended the impending respiratory case while I and the surgical/anaest team handled the UGIB...


Both teams worked simultaneously...just across the room from each other...


In the end , one of the patient succumbed to death..the patient with UGIB, had nonstop bleeding..and luckily the other one was electively intubated and subsequently transferred to ICU...


I was shaken at the end of the day.. It was too much for me to handle..


Truly, It was an ujian from Allah...


1 comment:

nz said...

bleh la belajar istilah2 medic kat blog ni ye.

:-)

have a nice day!
selamat bekerja!