Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Hijab Monologue




And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful. . (Qur'an 24:31)

******************************************************************
During my childhood years, I had spent 3 years living in the United States. Yes, I know it’s a mere speck from my already 25 years of life. Yet, that 3 years of my life was during my early teens, when I had turned from someone unaccountable to that threreof.

My family background was a simple one, to say the least. Especially in the aspect of religion. We were the average Malaysian, kelantanese family, leading the traditional – culturally influenced islam.

I myself, am a quiet person, with a heavy mouth to open , much more try to befriend others. However, Allah grants it I have had to move numerous times and had to change to many different schools. And, I have hated going to school ever since kindergarten. I have even skipped going to kindergarten for one month straight and almost everyday I would have 1001 reasons of not being able to make it to school.

But that move the United States had a great impact on me – both unwelcoming and vice versa.

When I was told the news that we had to stay to another country for years, i was too young too comprehend at the time. I was 10 years old at the time and was living in Kelantan. However, prior to moving to US, I would have to stay in Kuala Lumpur first for 6 months. That was my first move to the big city.

Coming from a small place in Kelantan, I was a bit apprehensive and reluctant to start afresh to someplace so foreign and bustling.

I have been introduced to the hijab eversince kindergarten. I was enrolled in an Islamic kindergarten, whereby it was compulsory for the students to wear one. Being still a child, I was not so compliant to it, having taking it off after school and all. But somehow, the road of hijab for me is not altogether straightforward. There are many challenges for a person to wear a hijab…

There are many reasons as to why a woman is resisting to wear a hijab..

“Saya belum sampai seru lagi lah..bila dah sampai seru, nanti saya pakai”

”Yang pentingnya hati...kadang-kadang tu yang pakai tudung tu lah yang banyak mengumpat.”

Those are some of the answers that I have encountered in regards to the hijab..There are many different more answers…but these are the most common ones
......to be continued

No comments: